Posts tagged capitalism
Posts tagged capitalism
The current situation with MERS-CoV is a perfect illustration of everything that is wrong with the Western approach to intellectual property” rights in biology.
In summary: an Egyptian virologist in Saudi Arabia illegally sent a virus sample without clearance from the public health authorities to a Dutch laboratory, which immediately patented the virus. The laboratory is now attempting to profit from the disease epidemic by using their patent rights to block development of a cure for the virus by anyone other than themselves; even though their access to the virus was illegal in the first place, under Western law they “own” it and no one else can do research on it without their permission.
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Texas is a “Right to Work” state also…
If you’re unemployed, it’s not because there isn’t any work.
Just look around: A housing shortage, crime, pollution; we need better schools and parks. Whatever our needs, they all require work. And as long as we have unsatisfied needs, there’s work to be done.
So ask yourself, what kind of world has work but no jobs? It’s a world where work is not related to satisfying our needs, a world where work is only related to satisfying the profit needs of business.
This country was not built by the huge corporations or government bureaucracies. It was built by people who work. And, it is working people who should control the work to be done. Yet, as long as employment is tied to somebody else’s profits, the work won’t get done.
Hmmm. Keeping that.
Make sure you read past the headline.
When comments are better than the article, Atlantic edition (“The Cheapest Generation: Why Millennials arent’ buying cars or houses, and what that means for the economy”)
Every time someone says we’re a lazy and entitled generation I’m going to show them this
They should be happy most of us haven’t moved to the moon yet
That actually sounds like a good idea at this point
i hate unpaid internships so fucking much
- unpaid internships exploit college graduates, most of whom have exorbitant student loans, into working 30-40 hours weeks for no pay
- at which time they start owing massive amounts of interest on their student loans
- they often don’t have time to search for other jobs
- it’s really only practical for wealthy people whocan afford to work without pay to make their resumes look prettier and network (again without pay) to get a job
- under the vain hopes that they’ll get hired at that company after their internship is up
- which frequently does not happen
- or to bolster their resume so some other company will hire them
- and if they do get a job at that company the company now doesn’t have to pay for their job training, which they’re legally allowed to do
- all of which is unconstitutional because it’s fucking illegal to make someone work for no pay
- it’s in the thirteenth amendment
so why is my generation living at home?
because no one will fucking hire and pay them a living wage that will cover rent and food and their student loans, that they have to pay because in order to get that unpaid internship in the first place they have to attend a university that is costing them between $35,000-$60,000 a year
and the debt for those loans is the only type of debt in this country that is unforgivable
that’s right even if you declare bankruptcy and have nothing left, you will still owe your student loans
so in conclusion
fuck everything in this broken system
and also pay your employees
[Image: “I am opposing a social order in which it is possible for one man who does absolutely nothing that is usefull to amass a fortune of hundreds of millions of dollars while millions of men and women who work all their lives secure barely enough for a wretched existence” - Eugene V Debs, Labor&Socialist Leader, Presidential candidate, June 16, 1918]